Become a subscriber and view posts without restrictions.
One of the things I look forward to with the arrival of spring is rhubarb and being able to make one of my favorite desserts – strawberry-rhubarb anything. I’ve adapted a pie recipe, sweetened up the crust a bit and made tarts instead this year, and I must say it is a huge improvement. Feel free to make one large tart or four mini tartlets – either way, a delicious sweet luxury.
Strawberry Rhubarb Tart, 4 Tartlets or 8 mini tarts
*1/2 c. unsalted butter (chilled and cut into 1/4” cubes)
*1 1/4 cup flour
*2 Tbs. sugar
*1/2 tsp salt
*4 Tbs ice water
*1/4 – 1/2 cup sugar
*1/4 cup flour
*pinch tsp salt
*1/2 tsp nutmeg
*2 cups rhubarb (cut into 1/2” slices)
*1 cups strawberries (sliced)
*1 tablespoon butter
Mae’s Crumble Topping:
*2 Tbs sugar
*2 Tbs brown sugar
*1/3 cup flour
*1/3 cup oatmeal
*3 Tbs butter – melted
1. Mix together ingredients for the crust and roll into a ball. Chill while you make the filling and topping.
2. Combine in a bowl all of the ingredients for the filling except the butter. Set aside.
3. Combine the ingredients for the topping. (Feel free to taste test – it’s a sweet snack!) Set aside.
4. Roll out the dough into a 13” circle for a tart or divide the ball into four parts and roll out four tartlet pie crusts.
5. Using a tart pan or tartlet pans (the bottom is removable – very handy), grease with shortening for easy removal. Place the dough in the pans. Fill with filling. Dot with butter (last ingredient for the filling) and top with the delicious crumbly topping.
6. Place in the oven for 30-40 minutes at 400 degree F.
7. Allow to cool and enjoy!