—For TSLL Subscriber FAQs, click here.
Answers to readers’ most frequently asked questions:
When did you begin blogging?
What advice can you share with bloggers just getting started?
As a blogger, I continue to learn and discover new and better ways of sharing content readers want to read, but the top three pieces of advice that have helped me along my journey: (1) post consistently (whether it’s weekly or daily), (2) choose a niche that isn’t too narrow, and (3) allow your readers to get to know you, but still keep your personal life private.
How many readers stop by daily/monthly?
TSLL blog is viewed more than 250,000 times a month and has more than 18,000 newsletter subscribers. The Simple Sophisticate podcast has been downloaded more than 5 million times since September 2014. (All numbers reported as of June 2021.)
Who is the artist behind all of the illustrations found on the blog?
Many readers have asked about the illustrations found on The Simply Luxurious Life. And I feel fortunate to have come across Inslee Fariss‘ talents early in my blogging career. Inslee is a fashion illustrator based out of
New York City Raleigh, North Carolina. You can visit her website and shop to peruse her calendars, stationery and request a commissioned original illustration. All illustrations you find here on The Simply Luxurious Life have been commissioned exclusively for the blog. Please do not use without permission.
How frequently do you blog?
Beginning during the summer of 2020, I began sharing three posts regularly each week (reduced from my five-day posts a week for ten years). Below is a list of what to expect when you stop by:
- Mondays – The Simple Sophisticate podcast (readable version as well) OR a Motivational post to kick-off the new week, full of inspiration, ideas, tips and from time to time interviews with inspiring people who have a similar approach to life.
- The podcast offers two seasons of 6-10 episodes each year (September – December, every other week, twice a month; January – March, every other week, twice a month)
- Wednesdays – a post on one of the following topics:
- 1st Wednesday: Decor, discover insights and inspiration from my own home customization journey with my own house, Le Papillon.
- 2nd Wednesday: Style, discover clothing, brands, styles and designers to know that I love and recommend for timeless, effortless style to continue to cultivate a capsule wardrobe you love wearing. Outfit of the Month will occasionally be shared.
- 3rd Wednesday: TSLL Recipes or French-Inspired or British-Inspired posts
- 4th Wednesday: TSLL Recipes or French-Inspired or British-Inspired posts
- The Last Wednesday of the month: What Made Me Smile This Month, So Far . . .
- Fridays – EVERY Friday, This & That (the latest books, music, films, sales, articles, etc) – view archives here
- The TSLL Monthly Newsletter – delivered on the last Friday of every month (learn more and how to sign up here)
- Monthly – On the first of each month, the video series A Cuppa Moments w/Shannon is posted on the blog for TOP Tier Subscribers
- Learn more about becoming a paying subscriber here.
- Ad-Free – enjoy the entire blog ad-free
- Unlimited viewing – enjoy reading as much TSLL content as you want
- Access to exclusive content (tours of TSLL’s Home & Garden, Saturday Ponderings . . . posts and What Made Me Smile posts as well as exclusive access to enter all giveaways (including during the annual French and British Weeks)
- Learn more about becoming a paying subscriber here.
- Each September and October – A new season of The Simply Luxurious Kitchen, TSLL’s cooking show
- Annually, on April 1st and September 1st – TSLL’s Spring and Fall, respectively, Shopping Guide is posted to help readers navigate the new trends and collections.
How do I access all of your content? What does subscribing to TSLL entail and how much does it cost?
Beginning in October 2020, TSLL created a more tailored, personal and engaging experience.
What prompted the change? Be sure to read this detailed post.
What are the subscription options and how many tiers are there? Read this detailed post about how to subscribe, each of the Tiers, subscription options, and discover which payment schedule best fits your budget.
If you have just become a TOP or BASIC Tier subscriber, view this detailed FAQ page to answer any of the questions you might about logging in and enjoying all of the benefits each time you visit TSLL blog.
Love the music on the podcast. Where can I buy it?
The music on Monday’s episode and the primary music for the entire podcast, The Simple Sophisticate is titled “Walking in Paris” and the music for The Simply Luxurious Kitchen vodcast is “Dans L’été Paris (Paris during Summer). (click on the song title to be directed to the purchase page.)
While you were teaching, how did you balance blogging and teaching full-time?
One of the most frequently asked questions I received while I was both teaching and blogging (for 11+ years both careers overlapped) from fellow teachers or anyone just starting out in blogging while working full-time is how did I balance it all. During the first two years I worked every day after school and on the weekends to get the blog off the ground, but I quickly realized I needed to set boundaries. So at least one, sometimes two days a week, the computer had a break, and I enjoy the exploration and relaxation that was needed to balance both careers that I loved.
What is the motivation behind the clothing you choose to spotlight on the blog?
All of the clothing chosen is based on my personal tastes and preferences, adhering to the premise of living simply luxuriously – quality over quantity. While I do include top designer items, I don’t expect readers to purchase the entire outfit. When styling an outfit, it is my goal to reveal how to pull items together, provide inspiration to include anything in your closet that you already have and then find that missing item that will complete the look.
While from time to time, a trend will be included, I do my best to spotlight clothing that is of high quality and that upon purchasing will last for years to come so that the woman who is building her capsule wardrobe can feel comfortable, confident and stylish as she goes about her everyday routine. Some of the clothing spotlighted on the blog is associated with affiliate links. If a post is sponsored by a brand, a disclosure footnote will be included at the end of the post.
So, you were a humanities teacher? Why are
their there grammatical mistakes from time to time?
Do you accept advertising?
What books and magazines do you read and/or recommend?
Have a look at my frequently updated book recommendation list, Francophile finds, and magazines. And be sure to stop by one of readers’ favorite weekly posts, This & That on Fridays to stay up-to-date on the latest releases in books, films, collections, plays, exhibits and more.
Where, what and how long did you teach?
Since 2002 I taught secondary Language Arts and social sciences in five different school districts in two different states in metropolitan, suburban and rural areas. Teaching AP Language & Composition (rhetoric) for the final eleven years was the highlight of my teaching tenure. I concluded my teaching career in 2021, retiring from Bend-LaPine School District at Summit HS.
How did you know it was the right decision in 2021 to step fully into blogging and retire from teaching?
My first year in the classroom as I gained my footing during graduate school coincided with the events of 9/11. In that first year, I observed how important relationships and sincerity along with trust and routine created a space for learning and open-minded consideration of new and difficult topics. Again in 2020, the pandemic brought into vivid clarity the need for sincere connections, honest and clear communication with not only others but ourselves and the power of routine and regular time to rest to strengthen well-being enabling the ability to spring spontaneously into creative endeavors. As I observed this, I knew this to be true in my personal and blogging life as well, and as TSLL had grown steadily over the past 11+ years and with the temporary shift in the teaching schedule due to the pandemic, I had the opportunity to clearly assess how I was going to continue to live well. After 20 years in the classroom, in 2021, I chose to retire. While not an easy decision, without question or hesitation, it was the right decision for me to move into a new chapter. A chapter I was grateful to have the opportunity to pursue. If you would like to learn more about how and why I made the decision to retire, check out episode #307 and May 2021’s A Cuppa Moments video chat.
There are so many blog posts in the archives! I want to live a simply luxurious life, where do I begin???
Start here. TSLL blog and brand is full of ideas, inspiration and tips, but there is an immense amount, so I’ve laid out a clear and easy way to begin if you are new to the blog. The Start Here page will help you begin to understand how to live your best life and how to move forward with all that TSLL blog have to offer. For a more comprehensive, carefully organized and linear guide to living simply luxuriously, check out my books which are available in paperback, audio and ebook format wherever books are available (you can also buy signed copies).