Summer is not quite over yet, and that means an abundance of fresh produce awaits to be harvested and enjoyed. Today, it’s all about courgettes (aka zucchinis).
Join me in my kitchen at Le Papillon for the premiere episode of Season 5 of the cooking show. I am excited to be back in this space with you, one of my happy places in my home (of which, admittedly, there are many☺️), a place I spend oh so much time in and thoroughly enjoy playing with different recipes, ingredients and ideas as they catch my curiosity.
Today’s recipe is incredibly simple and full of seasonal flavor brought by the fresh herbs, subtle warmth of the fennel and of course, the versatility of the courgette.
What are we making? Grilled Courgettes with Yogurt, Dill, Mint and Chèvre (goat’s cheese). I enjoy this dish as an entrée all on its own, but it can also be enjoyed as a salad or side dish to accompany fish, lamb, or hey, grilled hamburgers! And. yes, do not hesitate to transfer this recipe to your barbecue in your outdoor kitchen as it is for you to enjoy where you most feel comfortable grilling. I grill inside on my stovetop, and you can also simply use a large skillet to cook the courgettes, or even roast them in your oven for 17-20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit to achieve a similar flavor profile.
Let’s dive in to the first recipe of the season, shall we? Thank you for joining me. 🙂
~NOTE to readers who cannot see a video below: Be sure to turn off your ad-blocker if you use one as you will not be able to see a video at all if the ad-blocker is in use. Once you turn off your ad-blocker, you will need to restart your device to view the video.
Links shared during the episode:
~Cook & Share! I would love to share your Simply Luxurious Kitchen inspired experiences from your kitchen. Tag me on Instagram with @thesimplyluxuriouslife #tslkitchen (or directly tag @tsllcookingshow) and your post could appear on my Instagram feed as well as on a future Show Notes post (see readers’ pics below). Many readers have already shared their meals inspired by recipes from TSLKitchen. Check out TSLL’s IG Story Highlights – titled, Viewers’ Recipes. Below are a few readers that have shared recipes and pics that caught their eye (and tastebuds 😉) since last season concluded. Thank you to everyone who has shared!
Janet captured her Rustic Apple Galette, a recipe shared last fall on the blog!
Digital Cookbooks for Each Season of the Show are available. If you are looking for all of the recipes for each previous season in one easy to find place without having to click through each episode for each season, I now have available a Digital Cookbook for Seasons 1, 2, 3, & 4 ($8). Shop here. (Note: All TOP Tier Members/Subscribers can download these cookbooks for free.) Season 5’s cookbook will be available at the end of this season (end of October).
Grilled Courgettes with Yogurt, Mint, Dill and Chèvre
- 2 whole courgettes (zucchinis)
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- fleur de sel
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- pinch red chili flakes optional
- 1 lemon zest of the lemon goes into the marinade, the juice is reserved to dress the salad when finished and ready to serve.
- 3 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 6 fronds fresh dill, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chives, fresh, chopped
- 2 Tbsp whole milk yogurt, greek, plain (but full fat – for the flavor!)
- 50 grams chèvre (goat cheese)
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- Prepare the courgettes by slicing them into long, flat ribbons after topping off the end and bottom. There is no need to peel the courgettes; in fact, the peel adds to the layers of flavor. The thinner the ribbon, the less cooking time will be necessary on the grill. The choice of thickness is up to you.
- Turn on your grill to medium heat. While the grill is warming up, make the marinade for the courgettes in a small-medium mixing bowl.
- Make the marinade: olive oil, fennel seeds, salt and pepper, lemon zest (red pepper flakes – optional). Toss to combine.
- Add the sliced courgettes into the marinade and toss so all are covered and dressed with the flavors of the marinade. You can do this ahead of time, and set aside until you are ready to grill, or you can grill immediately. The flavor will be there either way.
- At the grill: drizzle a couple tablespoons of olive oil on the grill. Place the ribbons on the hot grill (medium heat), two rounds may be necessary. Grill for 8-12 minutes on each side dependent on the width of your ribbons. Use tongs to flip the ribbons and see the lovely charred marks on the first side when you flip – wahoo! When finished, place the grilled courgettes on the platter you will be using for serving.
- While the courgettes are grilling, make the yogurt dressing in a small mixing bowl. Mix the three chopped fresh herbs (mint, dill, chives), garlic, yogurt, and chèvre. Set aside 1 tsp of each of the three herbs to sprinkle on top of the entire salad prior to serving.
- Now it's time to assemble the salad. Squeeze the fresh lemon juice over the salad, then add dollops of the yogurt dressing over the grilled courgettes. Finally, sprinkle the left-over freshly chopped herbs, and you are ready to enjoy! Pair with a crisp glass of white wine or rosé, and you have a meal read to be savored. 🙂
~View more episodes of The Simply Luxurious Kitchen here.