One of my favorite recipes that I make as a meal, but can also serve as a side salad, is my sweet potato, chicken and arugula salad. Marrying vegetables, crunchy healthy carbs and protein, this dish is a meal one evening and my lunch the next day. And what’s even better is that it is simple to make.
In today’s episode of The Simply Luxurious Kitchen discover how to make a salad perfect for fall and winter (and really year-round), as well as learn what the actually difference is between sweet potatoes and yams. After all, Thanksgiving is just around the corner here in the states, and even the grocery stores have been labeling them incorrectly . . . sort of. I’ll explain it all, and the history of how the shift of “misnaming” came to be common practice.
I do hope you enjoy the episode. Click on the video below for episode #7 of the second season!
Links from the Episode:
~Cook & Share! I would love to share your Simply Luxurious Kitchen inspired experiences from your kitchen! Tag me on Instagram with @thesimplyluxuriouslife #tslkitchen and your post could appear on my Instagram feed. Many readers have already shared their meals inspired by recipes from TSLKitchen. Check out TSLL’s IG Story Highlights – titled, Viewers’ Recipes. And see the most recent shares since Season 1 wrapped up as viewers began to explore the recipes in their own kitchens.
Check out previous episode from Season 2 of The Simply Luxurious Kitchen
Episode #6, Season 2 — French Croissants et Pain au Chocolat, Step by Step
Season 2 Premiere – Moules Marinière à la Crème
Season 2, Episode #2, My Friday Night Lemon Butter Shrimp Pasta
Season 2, Episode #3, Apple Tart Tatin, plus How to Polish Copper Simply & Easily
Season 2, Episode #4, Herbed Trout with Citron Beurre Blanc
Sweet Potato, Chicken & Arugula Salad
- 4 tenders chicken tenderized
- 2 cups sweet potatoes 1/2-inch diced (1-2 large sweet potatoes)
- 2-3 cups arugula loosely packed
- 1/4 cup mayonaise good quality
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano freshly grated
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- course sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place sweet potatoes (diced) on the baking sheet. Drizzle with EVOO and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss with your hands to make sure sweet potatoes are covered evenly. Lay in one layer, making sure they are not stacked on top of each other for even baking.
- Tenderize the chicken tenders between two sheets of wax paper. Pound with the smooth side of the mallet until about 1/8 " thickness.
- Bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, stir the potatoes and continue baking until fork-tender, approximately 15-20 minutes longer. Let them cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the lemon juice and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pan fry the chicken tenders after seasoning one side with salt and pepper. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on the first side. Season the second side just before you flip, and then cook for 1-2 additional minutes until cooked through, but still tender.
- Just before serving (the sweet potatoes and the dressing can be made ahead of time), place the dressing at the bottom of your salad bowl, pour in your sweet potato and salad mixture and toss, coating the salad and potatoes evenly.
- Slice chicken tenders on the bias for a smooth cut, and place on top of your salad either all on top of the entire salad or an individual tender on top of each salad serving. Serve and top with freshly grated Parmigiana Reggiano.
- Option: Serve the salad without the chicken as a side. Perfect pairing as the "fries" with your hamburger, as mentioned in episode #116 of The Simple Sophisticate podcast.