Assessing, refining, polishing and investing.
Autumn nears and the luxe apparel of knits, cashmere, suede, tweeds and plaids rises to the forefront to grab our attention and remind us how powerful and elegant, as well as comfortable well-made basics in our fall capsule wardrobe can be. The trick is figuring out which ones to invest in each season as our budgets only stretch so far.
The good news, once we prioritize, the Black Friday and end of year sales often give us an opportunity to scoop up what we wanted, but didn’t have at the top of our list. This was something that happened to me last year, and my fall capsule wardrobe and wallet benefited as I found and purchased a handful of items from designers I love at steeply discounted prices. However, there will always be some items that will both sell out fast and be at the top of your list, and those are the ones to purchase now with no regret.
Below I have waded through the trends that popped up on the runways this past spring and now are in the shops and selected nine trends I am confident will be around for years to come, so that when you invest, you will be able to rest easy as you won’t look dated three, even five years or more down the road. Which means, while exaggerated poof sleeves are definitely in right now as are long near maxi-length hems, I don’t see those being trends that will last. Conversely, quiet luxury, a phrase and fashion trend I wrote about this past spring may not be what trend-setters or influencers want to hang around because it doesn’t mean we will be running to the stores and earning them commissions each season, but the good news is, quiet luxury will always be in style, which is why the last trend I shopped on today’s list is all about elevated basics. Granted, nearly everything you will find, more than 80+ hand-shopped items, are elevated quality items, but we’re talking simple, pared down, yet high quality denim, sweaters, jackets and accessories.
With all of that said, it is time to shop. But first, a few reminders:
What you will find in this season’s Shopping Guide below:
- A list of sales and links to the brand site, along with the promo codes if available.
- A list, with runway images, of the new trends worth investing in.
- 80+ Shoppable, hand-picked items
- Simply hover over and click the shoppable items and the brand and price will pop up
- Posts from the TSLL Archives to provide more Style Inspiration.
- Link to TSLL Capsule Wardrobe Shop
Current Sales of Note:
- JCREW, 40% off with code SHOPNOW
- THEORY, up to 70% off sale through September 4th
- FarFetch, 25% off the New Season
- Boden, 30% off everything
- BA&SH, 25% off sale with promo code LDAY25
- Everlane Labor Day Sale, up to 60% off, no promo needed
- Jenni Kayne, Labor Day Sale, save 20% off with promo code LDWEVENT20
- Madewell, save 30% off with promo code COOLDOWN
- Nordstrom, up to 60% off summer styles
- Ann Taylor, 30% off full priced items, no promo code needed
- Loft, 30% off full priced items, no promo code needed
- Anthropologie, enjoy an extra 40% off
DeMeiller Toyko Shoulder Bag is 20% off (new season at FarFetch)
A Must-Know and Use to Save $$$$:
- I highly recommend using Karma. Install the extension on your computer, save items you love but would prefer a better price, and it will alert you whenever a sale occurs. Also be sure to search RetailMeNot.com for promo codes at your favorite online sites.
Trends Worth the Investment
Elongated Silhouettes, think Suits
Strong, Yet Sultry Reds
Knitwear Dresses (sweater dresses)
~It’s hard to tell, but the trench in the lower right-hand corner is tan and stripes from L.K. Bennett. I especially like this trench. Modern, different, but timeless in both style and the print.
Scoopnecklines (mainly on camisoles for layering)
Luxury Everyday Staples (jeans, tees, sweaters, trenches, etc.)
~Boden, Laura Jersey Midi Shirt Dress, four prints available~
SHOP TSLL’s Capsule Wardrobe Shop
Did you know that year-round TSLL’s has a Capsule Wardrobe shop updated with timeless classic staples for your wardrobe? From fall to spring, the shop is updated each September and March, and now shop more than 70 items that are currently available to add to your wardrobe. Find TSLL’s Shop in the Drop Down menu under “TSLL Shop” and click “Capsule Wardrobe”. Or today, simply click here! Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see the items available in neat columns with descriptions. Click through to shop at the online store the item is available.
TSLL Style Posts You Might Enjoy
Head Fashion Editor of The Times (UK) Anna Murphy joins me to talk about Finding Your Way to the Best You Yet as Each Year Passes in her New Book, Destination Fabulous, episode #358
Preparing for Cozy, yet Chic Travel Attire in Early Fall, Outfit of the Month