In last week’s episode of the podcast, the Petit Plaisir was my morning Avocado Toast recipe – which is less than a recipe and more simple seasoning with lemon juice and salt and then devouring.
As seen above, beginning a couple of months ago, I now pair my every morning steel oats, sunnyside-up egg and hot cup of lemon water with a slice of avocado toast.
I haven’t had the opportunity to take a decent picture to share until earlier this week because either the light is not the best early in the morning or I have ate it too quickly (it’s that good, but oh so simple). It just so happened yesterday, after picking up one of my favorite loaves of bread from the local bakery the day before that the natural morning light was warm, the avocado was fresh and I had some time before heading to work to snap a pick (all was enjoyed moments after this image was taken).
While I shared two years ago my daily morning breakfast go-to, the addition of a slice (or sometimes two) of avocado toast has satiated my hunger and often enables me to forgo a late morning snack.
The benefits of avocado are numerous: loaded with fiber to help you to feel full longer, containing an abundance of potassium (more than bananas supposedly), a healthy source of fat (saturated), helps relieve pain as it reduces inflammation, with the antioxidants Vitamin C & E, retaining more moisture by the skin helping to improve our skin, and many more healthy benefits (see here).
It took me a while to appreciate this amazing fruit, but I am fully on board now. In order to select an avocado that will be ripe when you want to enjoy it (they are harvested well before they ripen, but less so the closer you are to the source), check this detailed list by MyDomaine regarding how to select the perfect avocado.
- 1 ripe avocado halved, pitted and cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice fresh
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices crusty fresh artisan bread
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- Toast two slices of artisan bread.
- While the bread is toasting, prepare the avocado spread: Slice the avocado in half, remove the pit, remove the cubed avocado from the skin (turn the skin inside out) and place in a small mixing bowl. Add the fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper and crushed red pepper flakes (optional). Mash with a fork until coarsely combined.
- Place on top of warm toast and enjoy!
~View more TSLL’s Breakfast Recipes here
~View all TSLL’s Recipes here