For today’s Petit Plaisir, we are doing something a little bit differently. Join me in my kitchen for an audio segment as we cook up a simple, yet delicious and balanced lunch or dinner in fewer than 15 minutes. Click here to listen to the latter part of episode #341 for the audio version recorded in real time as I cook this recipe in my own kitchen at Le Papillon with the help of my pups.
Adapted from a cookbook found at a used bookstore here in Bend, written by one of my go-to and trusted cookbook authors, Melissa Clark’s In The Kitchen with a Good Appetite: 150 Recipes & Stories About the Food You Love
Today’s Petit Plaisir appeared in episode #341, The First 15 Key Elements I Included in My English Cottage-inspired Home, Part Un
Chicken Schnitzel with Lemon Herb Salad
- 4 chicken tenders
- fleur de sel for seasoning the chicken
- freshly ground pepper for seasoning the chicken
- 1/8 cup flour
- 1 egg +1 Tbs of water if necessary (egg wash)
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3-4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 medium lemon (zest and juice) @ 2 1/2 Tbsp
- 7-8 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- fleur de sel
- freshly ground pepper
- 2-3 cups fresh lettuce greens and fresh herbs of your choice
- Place a skillet on the stovetop and bring to medium heat.
- Tenderize the chicken breasts between sheets of wax paper. Using the flat side of the mallet, shrink the thickness to half of what they originally were.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Set aside while the pan heats up. Make the vinaigrette.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil to the warm skillet.
- Preparing the breading station with two plates and one low profile bowl. The first will be the flour, the bowl will have the egg (whisk), and the second plate will have the panko and will be the final place for the chicken to be battered before making its way to the skillet.
- Once the skillet is hot (medium heat), dredge each chicken tender into the flour, covering both sides, then into the bowl with the whisked egg (add 1-2 tablespoons of water if preferred), then batter with the panko. Place each prepared piece of chicken into the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on the first side, basting with the olive oil as you do to continue to evenly cook the chicken. Flip, and the first side should be a nice golden brown.
- In a mortar & pestle (or on your cutting board), add one chopped clove of garlic with the salt. Mix or mash until a rough paste is created. Add to a small mixing bowl. Add the zest of one lemon, then add the juice of the one lemon. Add salt and pepper (a sprinkle, just a tad), then add the olive oil and whisk as you gradually drizzle it in. Taste the vinaigrette. If there is too much of a lemon taste to your preference, add more olive oil.
- Depending upon how much vinaigrette you need, place in a low profile bowl, add the salad greens (your choice, add a few of your favorite garden herbs or micro greens as well – micro radish or broccoli sprouts, chervil, chives, parsley, etc.), this toss.
- Once the chicken is nicely brown on both sides, place the lettuce for each serving on the plates, and then plate the chicken either on top of the dressed lettuce or beside. Add a wedge of lemon or a lemon slice and serve. Enjoy!