Over the next couple of months I look forward to sharing many different decor ideas. I have titled today’s episode/post as part une because there will be more to come. I am not sure how many at this point, but with many wonderful decor books being released this fall, I am enjoying perusing through them all, and want to share what I have discovered.
The first book that inspired today’s episode is Cathy Kincaid’s The Well Adorned Home: Making Luxury Livable. There may be a second post/episode inspired by her book as she shares an abundance of inspiration, but these are the first ten takeaways that captured my attention.
Advice from Cathy Kincaid:
- “Everyone wants to have nice things, but houses are meant to be lived in and I’m insistent they feel cozy and appropriate for clients and their lifestyle.”
- Buy the best you can afford – furniture, design elements or accessories – not for investment or resale projections, but rather for quality and timelessness.
- Lighting sets the tone and determines if there will be a cultivated inviting ambiance – mirrors and chandliers are included in lighting as they cast their own light in their unique way.
- Edit, edit, edit
- “Take time, relax and enjoy the work”
- Create some tension with color and discover how to match colors imperfectly, creating some tension.
Let’s take a look at 10 decor ideas discovered in Cathy Kincaid’s new book. I have included a handful of images from the pages, and I have a feeling there will be another episode including even more of her expertise.
Be sure to tune into the podcast episode for more conversation on each of the following ten ideas for simple, yet significant decor ideas to add luxurious touches to the home.
1.Add classic moldings to the room to raise the ceiling (so to speak) and incorporate a regal touch
2.Expand a small space by using one pattern throughout
“Most people think that pattern will overwhelm a room. That can happen if a pattern is used piecemeal, but the opposite is true when there’s continuity.” — Cathy Kincaid
3. The Power of pairs
Especially in small spaces, to avoid the cluttered look that can happen with too much eclectic charm, include pairs of chairs, nightstands, etc.
4. Balance pattern and solids
If the walls have a statement patterned wallpaper, choose solid upholstered furniture and visa versa.
5. Choose comfortable dining room chairs (i.e. upholstered ;)) to encourage your dinner party guests to linger.
6. Select bespoke lampshades to add a signature touch.
7. Include a luggage rack in your guest room
Often our guests room is smaller than other rooms, or the closet is already being utilized. Adding a standing, foldable luggage rack conveys a warm welcome in a functional way.
8. Include some open shelves in the kitchen to provide ease of access for frequently used dishes, oils and spices.
9. Convert a beloved table into a kitchen island or work space by adding either a cutting board top or marble top to the surface.
10. Layer rugs on top of one another to make the room feel larger
Place a neutral rug on the bottom, which will be the largest, and then a print or pattern that is smaller on top.
As I go about examining and considering how to add my own signature to my new home, as well as follow Cathy Kincaid’s advice to make sure it creates a cozy home that fits with my lifestyle, I look forward to sharing what I discover. Click here for Part Deux – 7 Décor Ideas to Add Signature Simply Luxurious Touches to Your Sanctuary and a second podcast episode, all called Part Deux, but really is Part Trois – episode #345, 13 Simple Ideas for Adding Luxury to Your Home
~ The Well Adorned Home: Making Luxury Livable by Cathy Kincaid
episode #345, 13 Simple Ideas for Adding Luxury to Your Home
~SIMILAR POSTS FROM THE ARCHIVES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
~The Great British Baking Show, Season 10 (Netflix!)
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/11174867/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/d0d4b9;color: #6f7056 !important/” width=”100%” scrolling=”no” class=”podcast-class” frameborder=”0″ placement=”bottom” primary_content_url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/thesimplesophisticate/260DecorPartune.mp3″ libsyn_item_id=”11174867″ height=”90″ theme=”custom” custom_color=”d0d4b9;color: #6f7056 !important″ player_use_thumbnail=”use_thumbnail” use_download_link=”use_download_link” download_link_text=”Download the episode” /]