When my neighbor dropped off a bucket full of fresh apricots, I ate a few immediately while I contemplated what I would do with the remaining. However, being a lover of pies and tarts (in other words, buttery crust and sweet fruit), I quickly made four tartlets. So simple to make and it allows you to enjoy the fruit that is one of summer’s many treats. Bon appetit!
Fresh Apricot Tartlets (yields 4 generous sizes or six small)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 unsalted butter (chilled)
- 2-4 Tbs cold water
- 8-14 fresh apricots (unpeeled, sliced and pitted)
- 1/3-1/2 cup sugar (to taste)
- pinch of salt
- sliced and toasted almonds or pistachios
1. Using a pastry cutter or food processor make the pastry. First combine flour, sugar and salt, then cut in cold butter. Finally add water. Roll into a ball and flatten into a disk. Place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes.
2. Create filling, prepare apricots, add sugar and salt in a medium-size mixing bowl.
3. Remove dough and cut into four quarters (four tartlets). Roll out dough to 8-9 inches in diameter. Place filling inside leaving an inch of dough for the edge. Pull up dough edges overlapping as you go.
4. Bake at 405 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until just golden brown. Add garnish and serve warm with vanilla ice cream.