“Autumn, the year’s last, loveliest smile.” —William Cullen Bryant
The early weeks of fall are something I thoroughly look forward to each and every year. The weather is warm enough to simply wear a light sweater and the colors are exquisitely beautiful, more so than if we had designed it ourselves.
While our lives pick up their pace and begin to settle into regular grooves and routines, the comfort of the temperate weather is soothing and serene. Fall seems to ask nothing more from us than to enjoy, appreciate and remember the journey that helped us arrive in October.
With the celebration of the arrival of October, I wanted to share with you some twenty of my favorite ways to revel in this charm-filled month. For the Pacific Northwest, October is the last month of farmers markets until the next spring, and there is still enough daylight to sit outside in the evening to enjoy a conversation and let the dogs romp in the yard. And you know, I think that is what the changing of seasons allows us to do more readily than if we lived perpetually in one season year round – have gratitude, contemplate and then move forward with the new found knowledge we’ve acquired. After all, it will be twelve months before we see this lovely time of year again.
1. Pull out the scarves. With just a hint of chill, a heavy coat is still not required, but a beautiful scarf strikes the perfect balance of warmth and style.
2. Pick out pumpkins of all shapes, colors and sizes. My favorite are Cinderella pumpkins – perhaps because of the fairy tale, perhaps their bright orange/red hue – whatever it is, I can’t help but smile.
3. Visit your farmers’ market and pick up some apples for a homemade pie, tart or crisp. And don’t forget the ice cream!
4. Turn the yearly chore of leave raking into a fun activity. Invite friends and family, and then serve snacks, hot cocoa and a warm fire afterwards.
5. Make homemade maple bars.
6. Purchase some mums for your porch.
7. Sip apple cider.
8. Capture the brilliant colors with your camera, or simple take a walk and savor the beauty
9. Stock up on a brilliant books with the start of the strongest season in publishing.
10. Enjoy an outdoor sporting event – soccer, football, etc. – before it gets too cold.
11. Gather the firewood and pinecones if you have a fireplace. And plan a celebratory first fire of the season full of a delicious meal, movie, dinner party, or whatever you most enjoy.
12. Welcome fall colors into your wardrobe.
13. Begin planning a fun and creative Halloween costume.
14. Turn your sanctuary into a home of comfort.
15. Boots! It’s finally time to wear them again.
16. Capture the last beautiful daylight of the season.
18. Watch It’s The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
19. Add a new long-sleeve wrap dress to your closet (use promo code FALL30 to save 30% off all DVF wrap dresses).
20. Stock up on bubble bath.
And now, I am most curious. What do you look forward to as October begins? Please, do share.