Become a subscriber and view posts without restrictions.
With life filling up our schedules and night turning into morning far too quickly, it can sometimes seem as though we aren’t able to enjoy all that is going well. Being willing to work hard for the life we want is mandatory, but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy regular simple luxuries.
The beautiful reality of simple luxuries is that they are everywhere waiting to be savored. From the first cup of freshly brewed coffee we sip in the morning (or tea) to the way we spend the last waking hour before catching some sleep reading a wonderful book, listening to our favorite music or catching up with our loved ones.
With the changing of the seasons, I am reminded that every three months there is something to celebrate and something to welcome. Something to luxuriate in as it only happens once a year and something to look forward for exactly the same reason. No matter where we find ourselves in the life we have created, the simple luxuries are there. However, it is our job to seek them out, to take breaks, turn off our cell phones and allow ourselves to indulge without feeling guilty.
Studies have revealed that working endlessly does not produce the best results, but in fact, working a balanced life with a quality vacation during the year, breaks throughout the day and weekend respites, allows our minds to recharge and perform at its best.
“Take rest; a field that has rested gives a beautiful crop.” –Ovid
I encourage you to welcome moments throughout your day and week that allow you to take a deep breath and relax, indulging in a simple luxury that slows down your heartbeat just enough so you can appreciate all that is going well. Here are a few examples that you may want to include in your repertoire. Please feel free to share your own as well.
1. Time during each day to catch your breath, close your eyes or put your feet up without distraction
2. An a la carte spa treatment . . . manicure, pedicure, facial – your choice . . . at the end of a weekday.
3. Feeling the young spring sun on your face.
4. Sipping a crisp French rosé paired with a decadent brie, Genoa salami and water crackers.
5. Reading from cover to cover the just-delivered new issue of your favorite magazine.
6. Seeing the daffodils become available in the farmers’ market for the first time. Spring is indeed coming!
7. Serving meals on beautiful, simple white plates that allow the food to do the talking.
8. Savoring the last fire in the fireplace as winter winds down.
9. A decadent dark chocolate truffle from your favorite local chocolatier.
10. Sipping Mariage Frères tea as a reminder of your trip to Paris.
11. The time set aside to meet a dear friend for a simple chat and to enjoy each others’ company.
12. Playing classic Dave Brubeck or Miles Davis jazz tunes on my record player while getting lost in a fantastic book.
13. Being surrounded by endless reading material options – whether at home or in a bookstore.
14. While taking a walk, enjoying the sun either rise or set and basking in its beauty.
15. A gourmet hamburger paired with a scrumptious red wine on a weeknight.
16. Discovering an intriguing article in the latest newspaper or magazine and losing all track of time.
17. Catching deep, peaceful Zzzzzzs under a fluffy down comforter paired with silky soft Egyptian sheets.
18. Indulging in a flaky, buttery croissant topped with a touch of homemade jam.
19. Sunday morning – the weekend papers, tea and breakfast in bed.
20. A day that is entirely mine to do as my heart desires.
21. Getting caught in a spring shower while on a walk.
22. Having something – a date, a trip, any plans that excite – to look forward to well in advance of its actual occurrence.
23. Discovering exciting news or reason to celebrate, and reveling in it by yourself for one full evening before sharing it with those who love you.
24. A fresh baguette
25. Knowing you have money in the bank.
26. Knowing you’re on the right path for the life you’ve dreamed of living.
27. Knowing you have the perfect outfit for an upcoming occasion.
~SIMILAR POSTS FROM THE ARCHIVES YOU MIGHT ENJOY