I love breakfast.
I sincerely will get excited about waking up in the morning to have my breakfast. The boiling hot water to sip as the day gradually begins, the refreshing taste of a spritz of lemon in my avocado smear for my toast and a squeeze in my hot water as well as the beautiful sunnyside up egg and warming steel oats full of all sorts of goodies.
Such a simple everyday routine has become one of the highlights of the day, and why not have a highlight start the day, non? 🙂
No matter what time in the morning you begin your day, when we start it with a delicious, as well as healthy and energy generating meal, we are putting the odds in our favor that the day will have as much of an opportunity to go well as possible. After all, as we discussed this past Monday on the podcast, the key to improving our lives, is recognizing what we have control over and tending to these areas as best as we possibly can.
In the third episode of The Simply Luxurious Kitchen, viewers will learn how to prepare the meal I have nearly every morning and why I choose to do this (I have been enjoying a version of the same breakfast for about 10 years now): Steel Oats cooked with chia seeds finished with my favorite accroutrements – honey, almonds and raisins, as well as a sunnyside up egg and my latest addition, a simple avocado smear toast. And I will share even more ideas for a delicious meal if you would like eggs as your protein, but perhaps soft-boiled and cleanly topped for dunking a slice of your favorite toast (or soldiers or mouillettes as the recipe calls them) with the recipe for œufs et mouillettes.
Also, I share my morning routine which during the summer months includes paddling boarding with my pups. Enjoy a glimpse of some of our excursions over the past few years.
I don’t know about you, but I am ready for something warm, something simple, but something delicious, and that is exactly what today’s episode will share with you. Have a look below and enjoy this week’s The Simply Luxurious Kitchen!
See TSLL readers/viewers share their meals inspired by TSL Kitchen below!
~Cook & Share! I would love to share your Simply Luxurious Kitchen inspired experiences from your kitchen! Tag me on Instagram with @thesimplyluxuriouslife #tslkitchen and your post could appear on my Instagram feed.
- from @abrewedawakeningblog – she used her favorite fish and what was available at her market, made the same sauce from Episode #1 and wow! Looks delicious! (Check out episode 1, season 1 here.)
Review the Vodcast on iTunes (or wherever you download your podcasts)
~A tremendous thank you to Tracey S. who shared this review on iTunes recently regarding the vodcast.
Living Simply Luxuriously! This is a wonderful podcast. I’ve been following Shannon’s blog for years and it just keeps getting better. Now with this addition of cooking, I’m so looking forward to what the season has to offer. As a fellow Francophile, I love the French touch she puts into everything. Her topics on health, beauty, fashion, decorating and how to live a better life are truly inspiring. There is something for everyone. I don’t usually write reviews but really wanted to let everyone know what a treasure her blog posts are. Thank you, Shannon!
Links from the Episode:
- Discover the 34 must-Have Items to Stock Your épicerie (pantry) with to ensure you can prepare any meal no matter what the season.
- Shop TSLL Kitchen Store to find the items used in this episode and many more (below are the items from this episode):
- The Original Clack Egg Opener
- Ceramic egg holder – dozen & single – from Etsy, from Sur la Table
- Copper Sauce Pan – Part of a Graduated set of four, given to me by my mother who found them at a second-hand store for $50. On a couple of the handles, the text reads Turkey Ali’s Copper Shop Adana. They needed polishing, but have become a staple in my kitchen.
- Season Fruits and Vegetables print – Modvin, save 10% off your first order with promo code TSLL
- White square dinner plates, Crate and Barrel (similar)
- Spider Strainer (used with Haricots Verts)
- Peugeot 9″ Natural Pepper Mill
- E.Dehillerin 23″ Chef’s Knife
- Ramekins, 8 oz
- Porcelain Milk Carafe with lid (for the heavy cream)
- Weck glass storage jars (a variety of sizes and shapes)
- Le Creuset Ceramic honey pot and dipper
- Copper Skillet from Mauviel – 10″ skillet
~View all episodes of The Simply Luxurious Kitchen here.
My Daily Breakfast & More Morning Meal Ideas: Steel Oats, Soft Boiled Eggs & Soldiers (Œufs et Mouillettes)
- 3/4 cup hot (boiling) water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream for a lighter meal, cook with a full cup of hot water - no cream
- 1/4 cup steel oats traditional (not quick cook)
- 1-2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 pinch course sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sliced roasted unsalted almonds
- 1 tablespoon raisins add any fruit you might enjoy or that is in season
- 1 teaspoon honey
Avocado Smear & Toast
- 1/2 avocado ripe
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
Soft Boiled Egg & Soilders (œufs et mouillettes)
- 1 egg large room temperature
- 1 slice toasted bread fresh from the baker, brioche if you can find it or make it
Sunnyside Up Egg
- 1 egg farm fresh if possible
- dash of fine or flaky sea salt
- dash freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Boil hot water in a teakettle. While the water is boiling, toast the oats in a dry skillet on a low heat, stirring occasionally until lightly toasted.
- Once the water is boiling, add 3/4 - 1 cup hot water to the toasted steel oats in the skillet. Add the heavy cream (optional), salt and chia seeds. Stir to incorporate and then let sit on low heat for 15-20 minutes until it reaches the consistency you want (do not stir, do not cover).
- Prepare a bowl with the raisins, honey and almonds. Add the cooked steel oats mixture. Stir and enjoy!
Avocado Smear & Toast
- Slice the avocado in half (save one half for later). Dice up the avocado and place into a small mixing bowl. Add lemon and salt. Combine with a spoon or a fork.
- Toast your favorite bread. Top with the avocado smear. Enjoy!
Œufs et Mouillettes
- Bring water to boil in a medium sauce pan. Make sure the eggs are at room-temperature (if not, run under hot water for one minute). Once the water is boiling, gently place the eggs into the water. Boil for 6 minutes (large eggs), add or subtract 30 seconds if the egg is extra large or medium.
- Remove from stove and drain the hot water, running cold water over the eggs for 1 minute.
- Place the eggs in egg holders. Using a clack (link in show notes for the simple topping device) or a small knife, slice the top off of the egg. Salt and pepper the egg as preferred. Slice the toast into narrow strips. Dunk the toast into the soft boiled egg. Enjoy!
22 thoughts on “My Daily Breakfast & More Morning Meal Ideas: Steel Oats, Soft Boiled Eggs & Soldiers (Œufs et Mouillettes)”
Yum! Steel-cut oats are my favorite breakfast, too – I’ve been eating that daily for years. I’ll try chia seeds next time, too. Autumn is perfect for enjoying more hearty meals, isn’t it?
If you ever get to Wisconsin, I recommend breakfast at Field to Fork in Sheboygan and browsing at their market after. They specialize in farm-to-table ingredients that make the meal delicious and the experience memorable. Our daughter works there, and she and the staff are allowed great creative freedom, which shows up in the meal.
Thank you for the recommendation. It sounds like a delicious place to eat and inspiring place to work for your daughter. 🙂 Thank you for stopping by Deanne.
Thank you for allowing us into your kitchen and home! It is so connecting to share a bit of your morning ritual with you in this way. I love seeing how you prepare food! How intentional you are! Such a wonderful addition to Living a Luxurious Life brand.
Thank you Margi for checking out his week’s episode. Breakfast is such a great opportunity to set the tone we wish for the day. From our stomachs to our minds to how our day unfold. 🙂 Enjoy the weekend!
Sorry! The Simply Luxurious Life brand.
I gotcha ?
Another great episode! What is the music that leads us into the show?
Thank you for stopping by Lori! The song is called “Dans L’été” (Paris During Summer) and you can find the link to it on the vodcast homepage – https://thesimplyluxuriouslife.com/category/vodcast/
Steel cut oats are deliciously nutty and I love them too. Your soft boiled eggs with toast soldiers are making me want to make that too. I love the deliberate, easy manner that you demonstrate in preparing the most important meal of the day.
So important, right?! 🙂 And the best part is, one you find something that works well for you, you can create the habit which frees your mind in the morning to gradually wake up. :). Thank you for stopping by and tuning in Pat. Have a wonderful weekend.
Wonderful. It seems like so many are intermittent fasting these days but I love breakfast! I can’t wait to see perhaps some holiday recipes 🙂 Or food gifts?
Thank you for the ideas Molly of what you would enjoy! I will certainly keep it in mind. 🙂
I am really enjoying the Simply Luxurious Kitchen installments each week. I, too, look forward to my avocado toast and egg each morning. Sometimes I will sprinkle just a little bit of Trader Joe’s Everything But the Bagel seasoning as well. On one podcast a while back, I heard you mention about adding just a squeeze of lemon to the avocado mixture, and I’ve done that ever since. It’s the perfect extra touch. As for the oatmeal, I bought a wooden spirtle on my trip to England/Scotland last year, and it’s been a handy little kitchen tool–a great conversation piece too. Looking forward to next week’s episode! Well done!
*quickly typing to search for an image of a spirtle* Thank you for sharing your experience and approach to breakfast. Adding simple extra flavors is a great idea!
That would be spurtle, not spirtle. Whoops! 🙂
Thanks! *backspacing and now searching for “spurtle” ?
This was a great episode, Shannon! I definitely feel inspired to try your breakfast. Thank you for bringing us in to your kitchen.
Thank you Jennie for stopping by 🙂
I just discovered your show on iTunes and now I look forward to recreating these dishes.
I have been wanting to do a Vodcast myself. Any suggestions?
Thank you for stopping by and saying hello. 🙂
Several inches of surprise snow last night made this Thursday morning leisurely so here I am luxuriating in your posts and following their links to more and more delight! This random note is to share with you that after trying your steel cut oats about eight months ago, I have been enjoying them daily, and nothing else quite sets the morning off right. Toppings vary…often a crisp chopped apple with Reluctant Trader’s cinnamon, sometimes even a sprinkle of lavender with something mellow like sliced banana. The toasting, shallow cooking and dash of cream make these sublime. Just my thanks to you for the day for all your sweet sharings that so enhance daily living 💕 have a great one
You received snow as well! How lovely! And what a surprise, for us too! 🙂 Thank you for sharing with me you are enjoying steel cut oats. I genuinely am full all morning long, full of energy. And as you shared, there are so many different ways to enjoy them. Thank you very much for sharing with me. Wishing you much cozy time inside as this storm moves through. 🙂