As a way of incorporating a savory taste of steak into a recent wine party I catered, I chose to make Giada de Laurentiis’ Penne with Beef and Arugula. Being the pasta lover that I am, I find that I am always looking for more protein and this recipe provides it by way of a New York Strip steak that has a beautiful flavor and perfectly sliced bites. The dressing, a mixture of balsamic vinegar, olive oil and fresh herbs, is a wonderful balance of sweet punch and melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness. It really is a meal in and of itself due to the combination of protein, carbs, vegetables and a bit of healthy fat in the dressing.
Key Things To Keep In Mind
*Cook the steak for no more than 7 minutes on each side and allow it to sit for at least five minutes to seal in all of the fantastic flavor.
*Feel free to use whole wheat penne.
*Whether it is served hot or cold, it makes for a filling meal that leaves you satisfied.
Penne with Beef and Arugula
adapted from Giada de Laurentiis
- 1 (1-pound) New York strip steak
- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for steak and pasta water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for steak
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 cups chopped arugula
1. Season the steak with salt and freshly ground black pepper, herbs de Provence, and minced garlic. In a skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Cook steak about 7 minutes per side. Remove the meat from pan and let it rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of pasta water.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, fresh herbs, and 3/4 cup olive oil. In a large bowl toss the pasta with half of the salad dressing and the reserved pasta water. Add the arugula and steak, more dressing, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed. Toss, pack for the picnic, or serve.