Become a subscriber and view posts without restrictions.
We spend approximately a third of our lives sleeping, so it is of importance that our bedroom (our private sanctuary) be adorned in such a way as to invite peace and a restful night’s sleep. As I suggested in my quarterly newsletter (sent out on January 1st) on how to create a simply luxurious year, why not turn your bedroom into a welcoming escape, your personal luxury sanctuary that beckons you to dive into bed?
With all of that said, the first step in creating such a bedroom is to make a beautiful bed. There are many suggestions on how to go about making your bed in the morning (some mornings, just making the bed, no matter how neat and tidy it is, is an accomplishment, I realize this all too well), but when you have five minutes, take the time to make a beautiful bed that will make you smile when you come back home at the end of your day.
Here is what works for me (however, I’m still looking for the right accent pillows):
2 Euro pillows
2-4 standard pillows
2 accent pillows
a beautiful silk blanket
favorite sheets (Egyptian cotton)
1. With blanket over sheets, lay out on top of your mattress, then turn back the top 6-12 inches. Tuck in all sides, except (and my mom doesn’t like this) I do the “no-tuck” and a double hotel foot fold at the end so that you can easily slide your feet in.
2. Fold the duvet and place it at the end of the bed.
3. Prop two Euro pillows up against the headboard
4. Stack (in two piles) two standard pillows
5. Place two accent pillows in the front of the stacked pillows
To see a video of Nate Berkus demonstrating for both duvet, quilts or comforters, click here.