Taking care of our skin is one of the most indulgent chores a woman must partake in. While it does take more time to be diligent about regular upkeep, this time can be molded into a luxurious experience whether at home or at a spa.
I can remember as a young girl having read Teen magazine and making my list of beauty rituals that I looked forward to following. From my weekly manicure, bi-weekly pedicure and weekly facial, I would complete them all in the comfort of my own home and without much expense. These experiences were a treat that allowed me to feel truly pampered.
By choosing to take care of our skin, we are adding life and youth to our years and subtly strengthening an inner self-confidence that says, “I’m most definitely worth it.” And while the benefits take time to show themselves, after decades of following your regimen, when someone mistakes you for a woman half your age, you will realize what others are missing out on and that all of your time and money were well worth it.
Here is a list of simple ways to take care of your skin. What you will notice is that most of these ideas can be done at home and are only a matter of making time in your schedule. However, I highly suggest pampering yourself every once and while and booking an appointment at the spa for an hour or so of relaxation.
1. Wash face every night before going to bed.
2. Apply moisturizer and eye cream before turning in.
3. Moisturize entire body after showers and baths.
4. Seasonal facials at a pampering spa
5. Weekly facials at home.
6. Use SPF 30 sunscreen or higher
7. Smile, laugh in excess.
8. Use tinted moisturizer with SPF protection in lieu of foundation
9. Moisturize neck and chest as often as your face.
10. Enjoy accessorizing – hats and oversized sunglasses.
11. Use richer body lotion for dry seasons (fall & winter)
12. Use concealer – a gift to women! (I can’t speak highly enough of Bobbi Brown’s)
13. Wax eyebrows for an instant eye lift.
14. Use a gentle facial scrub a few times a week.
15. Eliminate smoking.
16. Drink in moderation.
17. Enjoy regular exercise.
18. Vaseline is a frugal, versatile beauty product – moisturize lips, cuticles and feet, but use an all-natural alternative: Beeseline instead.
19. To zap blemishes, use toothpaste before going to bed.
20. For healthy bronzed skin, schedule an appointment to be airbrushed or receive a spray tan.
21. Drink water – make it your drink of choice to hydrate your skin and flush out your system.
22. Get 6-9 hours of sleep regularly
23. Savor a whole body massage.
And if there is something that you think should be added to the list, please do share.
15 thoughts on “Why Not . . . Have Radiant Skin?”
Great tips, all very true. I do most of these things actually, but sadly not all. There is still room for improvement!
I am soooo bookmarking this post and printing it out! Excellent tips and reminders to take a few minutes out every day to take care of ourselves and our skin..it pays off in the long run. (now I need to practice what I preach)
Great tips! I can definitely attest to these, especially exercise which always makes me feel less stressed and have way more energy, which really shows on my skin xx
I am so thrilled you posted this list, and I really do most of them. I could laugh even more though, the joyful person always looks younger!
Art by Karena
Fabulous as usually but this extra Fab….love good skin care tips especially the water & sunblock so important for anti ageing.
Great post, great and helpful advices for everyone! 🙂
I really agree with you about Bobbi Brown’s concealer…fantastic…and a gentle exfolliator 3-4 times a week…Clarins is perfect!
Lovely post. How fantastic does Cindy look? And still does!
A great list. One addition should definitely be get regular massages. They increase circulation and help skin tone.
I’d like to piggy back off of what Lee said. Regular massages area great thing, and I’ve seen the benefits of it. I take my time rubbing lotion in at night. Especially with my feet and it helps me sleep so much more. My skin is so much clearer than it has been in the last few years. It think it really helps your body expel all the junk. I now combine a body brush with boar bristles and massaging nubs to get a combination exfoliating massage. It’s pretty amazing.
Also, I love how you address exercise: “ENJOY exercise”. People make it out to be such a chore, but it truly is fun and necessary, really.
Happy to see that I practice the majority of your beautiful list, Shannon. I haven’t heard of the toothpaste for blemishes secret though … I would assume it means just the plain old-fashioned kind white toothpaste and not a tooth-whitening gel! 😉 Always a pleasure to visit you. xoxo
I’m so obsessed about your blog. I’ve been searching the internet for something like this for AGES now! thank you so much for you helpful regular and awesome posts!
Thank you for your wonderful blog and the hours and hours of work that you surely must put into it each week. I look forward to checking in each and every day.
I try to eliminate sugar from my diet as much as possible and eat an anti-inflammatory diet. Dr. Perricone, a skin-care guru, recommends this and I have found it to be very helpful, especially now that I’m in my early 50s and the damage done in my earlier years is finally showing up. Wish I had know this 30 years ago!
Catherine Robinson – Thank you for mentioning Clarins – I will certainly have to try it as I have had great reviews.
Lee – thank you for the addition. I will certainly add it.
Becky – thank you for sharing your specific regimen and its successes. To hear what other women do and what works is always reassuring. And yes, when we enjoy the exercise we’re involved in, we often forget that we are doing something we must. 🙂
Fancy Pants – thank you very much. 🙂
Anonymous (Valorie) – Thank you for your lovely comment. Reducing sugar takes such discipline, but it truly can reap great results. Thank you for mentioning this fact. 🙂
What an awesome blog and this post is sooo up my alley! You’re a girl after my own heart! Came from Jane’s Vanity blog. Just had to put your banner on my blog! kisses!
Lovely blog, it is such a relaxation for me to read it. Keep up the good work!
My skin tips:
1. Eat lots of fruits and veggies and try to cut out processed food.
2. Use natural/ organic products for skin ( olive oil for example is a great moisturizer)
3. Wax legs for a really smooth skin.
4. Don’t wear too much make-up. If you do wear make-up go for organic/mineral.
5. Wear natural fabrics that let the skin breathe.
Have a great day!
Joanna – Romania, Europe