Become a subscriber and view posts without restrictions.
“A home is a sanctuary, a haven of peace, where we can let down our guard amid the mad race of our hectic lives.” —Sarah Lavoine, author of Chez Moi: Decorating Your Home and Living Like a Parisienne
~The Simple Sophisticate podcast, episode #127
Being effortlessly stylish takes time, awareness and clarity of what not only looks and feels the best, but what aligns with our truest selves. Part of the reason I am drawn to the Parisienne eclectic style that marries beauty with simplicity is that there is an efficiency, a lack of excess that reduces the stress and decision making, as well as extra work to organize and keep track of things that while not necessary may need to be tended to because we have mistakenly brought them into our lives.
In interior designer Sarah Lavoine’s new book, Chez Moi, I was inspired by her effortless, but thoughtful approach to not only adorning and decorating one’s home, but how to live well within one’s home. So today, I would like to share with you a glimpse of 20 of my favorite ideas which she shares in her book.
~Be sure to tune into the podcast as I discuss each of the 20 items before in detail. You can download on iTunes, Stitcher or Google Play.
1. Change interior throw pillows seasonally
2. An inviting, large, soft sofa. If possible two facing each other
3. Candles, candles, everywhere. Group them together for greater effect
4. Use wallpaper as a signature wall in small doses.
5. Never arrive empty handed when invited as a guest. Keep it simple, but thoughtful.
6. Add a nice porcelain set of teacups to use when receiving guests.
7. Speaking of tea, use tea bowls to serve up snacks.
8. Curate a mini library of cookbooks in your kitchen
9. Casual or country dining? Choose a cloth or linen tablecloth.
10. Make truffle pasta – black truffles, cream, pasta – oh my goodness. (recipe page 64)
11. Become an expert at making fruit tarts (recipe on page 66)
12. Serve wine in a carafe to add a touch of chic to the table
13. Purchase quality napkin rings, engrave your regular dining companions’ names to add a special inclusive touch.
13. Create groupings with decor: hats, scarves, umbrellas. Do so purposefully for effortless style.
14. Add a cozy armchair to your bedroom
15. Curtains in the bedroom. Yes!
16. Wear nails short and neat.
17. Invest in loose fitting v-neck cashmere sweaters
18. Choose Greek sandals with natural leather for summer footwear
19. Invest in a nice, tailored blazer to dress up any look
Living well asks of each of us to live consciously so that we eliminate the unnecessary (or know consciously never to welcome it into our lives in the first place) as well as what, when we decide to invest, will elevate the quality of our living for a good long while. Little touches make a grand difference, but making significant purchases or buying items of quality will also help build a haven of sanctuary at home that is full of thoughtful meaning and purpose so that we can live well and share our time with those we enjoy spending time with in a place that rejuvenates and awakens our truest selves.
~French-Inspired episodes on The Simple Sophisticate:
- #4 — 10 Ways to Unearth your Inner Francophile
- #23 —The French Way: How to Create a Luxurious Everyday Life
- #32 —The Francophile Style Guide: The 14 Essential Items
- #96 — Everyday Living in France: My Interview with Sharon Santoni
- #117 — How to Be Chic: My Interview with Fiona Ferris
- #118 — Paris, Relationships & Our Truest Selves: My Interview with Eleanor Brown
~The new Live Simply, Live Well notepads,
This past summer I introduced the first two notepads (To Market and To Do), as well as the Capsule Menu Planning notepad, and realized one more notepad was missing: a notepad left blank for you to do and use in whichever way you want in your daily routine. Perhaps for writing quotes down to remind yourself of before you start your day, or maybe to leave notes for those you love. However you want to use the new “Live Simply, Live Well” notepads is up for you to decide, and they even come with an attachable magnet should you want to place them on your refrigerator.
Some other details:
- 50 tear-off notepad
- white 20lb wt recyclable paper
- full color illustration
- 4″ x 7″
- $9 each
And for a limited time, a special discount for orders of $20 or more. Simply enter the coupon code NOTEPAD15 to receive 15% off your order through Monday October 31st.
Below you will see a few other combinations that the new “Live Well” notepad is included:
- 3-pack – $25
- TSLL Notepad Package (all three notepads: To Market, To Do, Live Well) – $20
- More packages are available as well as single orders of To Market and To Do here.