Become a subscriber and view posts without restrictions.
Last weekend during Spring Release weekend, I packed up a lunch as we stopped and tasted a variety of wines at some delightful wineries in the Walla Walla Valley. My pasta dish of choice this particular year was a recipe that is a meal in and of itself. With a subtle peppery sauce, scrumptious shrimp and the combination of tomatoes, out appetites were satiated and it was off to the next winery.
Penne with Shrimp and Herbed Cream Sauce
(Giada de Laurentiis recipe)
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled, and deveined
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup clam juice
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the pasta and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until the shrimp turn pink and is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp and set aside.
3. Add the tomatoes, 1/4 cup basil, 1/4 cup parsley, and the red pepper flakes. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the wine, clam juice, and heavy cream. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 7 to 8 minutes until the sauce thickens. Add 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, the cooked shrimp, the cooked pasta, and the remaining herbs. Toss together until all ingredients are coated. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
4. Transfer the pasta to a large serving bowl. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and serve immediately.