For me, mornings are my favorite part of the day. Whether it is a work day or the weekend, I enjoy the stillness and the ability to let my thoughts not be tainted one way or another yet by what the day might bring.
And while I know there are many people who are night-owls, I tend to leave my evenings for pleasure and relaxing, knowing that the day has reaped some successful results.
Since the mornings are the time I can make my own and aren’t weighted down by responsibility, I tend to enjoy waking up early when I’ve had a good night’s sleep and easing into the day.
Depending upon the time of year, I tend to be able to enjoy each of the following, summer and spring for example, while other seasons make it a little more difficult; however, when I give myself enough time, the ability to enjoy these simple luxuries always helps to make the day ahead a bit more successful and productive. Here are a few ways to help create an enjoyable and auspicious start to the day:
1. Wake up early after a good night’s sleep
2. Take in the fresh air – go for a walk – greet the sunrise (your dogs will thank you)
3. Yoga (10-20 minutes) sun salutations or another form of exercise
4. Enjoy freshly brewed coffee or tea
5. Shower – wash your face – take your time getting beautiful
6. Savor a well-balanced breakfast (oatmeal, one egg, 1/2 whole wheat toast & OJ are my go-to choice)
7. Check the headlines – listen to NPR, read the newspaper, check out your favorite column/section or watch your favorite morning hosts if it applies to your job or interest.
8. Check your planner – look at what the day ahead will bring
9. State a positive mantra to yourself or visualize the day ahead as you’d like to have it play out.
I’d love to hear what works for you in the morning before you head out the door. Please do share.
Image: TSLL IG