No oven required. Fresh from the market, add decadence with fresh mozzarella. Add wine, good friends, conversation and voilà!
Servings 6 servings
- 8 tomatoes heirloom, fresh, flavorful, in season a variety of sizes and colors, whole 1/4" slices, as well as quartered
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 ball burrata, mozzarella or buffalo mozzarella cheese rip into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil add as much or as little to taste (1/4 cup is approximate)
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- fresh artisan crusty bread
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped roughly
Slice and tomatoes in a variety of sizes as it will be enjoyed with a knife a fork. However, if you want them all uniform, slice them as you prefer. Presentation with a variety of sizes adds a rustic touch and reveals the variety of different tomatoes included.
Add the pieces of ripped mozzarella. I used burrata which makes the dish appear more creamy and less uniform and neat, but buffalo or regular fresh mozzarella will change keep the neat presentation.
Place tomatoes and mozzarella mixture into the platter you wish to you to serve. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Let the dish sit for 20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
Sprinkle fresh basil on top, serve with crusty torn pieces of bread and dive in!