My absolute favorite appetizer. Simple, flavorful and classic.
Servings 12 slices
- 1 French baguette sliced on the bias
- 1-2 medium fresh tomatoes your choice, heirlooms are my favorite, the fresher and in season the better
- 1 large ball fresh mozzarella buffalo mozzarella would work well also
- 3-5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 large leaves basil julienned
- 3-4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar top quality - (I use Gianni’s Traditional Balsamic Vinegar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees (Fahrenheit).
Slice baguette, placing slices on a baking sheet/jelly roll pan. Drizzle EVOO over each slice. Place a slice of mozzarella on each.
Place baking sheet in the oven and watch carefully. It will take between 4-7 minutes. Remove when cheese has melted and is slightly bubbly and baguette is toasted.
Place one leaf of basil (or julienned slices) on top of the warm mozzarella, followed by a slice of tomato (or a tablespoon of diced pieces), and drizzle with thick balsamic vinegar (if you have store-bought vinegar that is very transparent, reduce it over medium heat to thicken up the consistency and improve the flavor). Voilà!