Become a subscriber and view posts without restrictions.
The summer heats has trumped the calendar. With highs in the 80s this week, comfortable, breathable clothing has jumped to the top of my capsule wardrobe shopping list. And when that is my priority, the maxi dress immediate springs to mind. Whether choosing a maxi dress or a maxi skirt paired with a t-shirt, silk blouse or camisole, a maxi is a worthwhile option to have on hand in your spring/summer capsule wardrobe. Why? Let me share with you my thoughts:
The maxi option is ideal of summer. Offering style as well as comfort with the temperatures soaring, slipping on a maxi dress or skirt allows your body to be less constricted and still creates a beautiful silhouette.
2. Ideal for Travel
One of my favorite travel outfits is a racer-back maxi dress. Why? As someone who lives on the west coast, whenever I travel, I usually have to wake up wickedly early to travel to the east coast or Europe. So knowing I only have one piece to put on (I usually layer with a jacket or a scarf) and can rest easy knowing that that one option will not set off any security check-points, nor will it be the unwanted sweatpants (however, it the luxury comfit will still be there), is very appealing in the wee hours of the morning.
3. Endless Options
The maxi dress or maxi skirt can be dressed up for a formal occasion or down for more casual events. Depending upon the length of the hemline, you can wear chic signature sandals or heels. Add a jacket, a scarf, a beautiful long necklace or over-sized earrings, cinch your waist, plop a sunhat to guard your skin from the sun.
Also, when it comes to maxi dresses, the varying neckline offer a wonderful selection: differing straps (racer-back, basic over the shoulder, halter), strapless, short sleeves, long-sleeves. Needless to say, based on the part of your upper torso you want to spotlight or camouflage, there is a style of maxi dress available for you.
Whether you are petite, tall, curvy or average height, anyone can wear a maxi and look sophisticated, stylish and effortlessly chic. The key is the hemline, the color print, the fullness of the skirt and the neckline.
Don’t forget to check that the material is opaque. If not, and you love the dress, use it as a beach cover-up. And if the hem is too long, either pull out your sewing machine or take it to a tailor for a simple fix.
Looking to create a streamlined silhouette? Choose solid colors and avoid horizontal stripes.
The primary reason I love wearing maxi dresses is that they are easy. Just like any other dress, it is one decision to make before walking out the door.
How to Style a Maxi:
- While heels are an option, a maxi during the summer months is typically worn outside, so choose footing that is flat or has a slight platform or wedge and keep the coloring neutral if the dress is a print.
- Choose the proper undergarments: a convertible or strapless bra (some come with a built-in bra, so take a look and try on to determine if there is enough support), choose full coverage underwear as maxis tend to create the unwanted “wedgie” otherwise.
- If you prefer not to wear a strapless bra, wear a capped sleeve maxi – a style that offers a beautiful neckline and the desired comfort.
- For a boyish figure – choose a maxi that cinches in your waist to create curves
- For pear-shaped figures – choose an empire waist with bare shoulders to bring the eye up.
- Accessorize with blazers, denim jackets, scarves, belts, sunglasses, hats, necklaces and sunscreen!
- Remember to let the skirt speak – don’t wear a jacket that runs longer than your waist unless you are cinching it in with a belt. The key is to keep the balance of full (bottom) and tailored (top)
Even if you just keep on maxi on hand for those particular occasions where you are craving comfort, but also desire to look casually elegant, you will be glad you picked up the best maxi for your coloring, figure and comfort. Below are a few maxi dresses I found that you might want to take a look at:
~SIMILAR POSTS FROM THE ARCHIVES YOU MIGHT ENJOY: