Interior designer Summer Thorton has created a design firm in Chicago that cultivates warm, welcoming, traditional with touches of contemporary, sophisticated chic rooms and inviting spaces. Recently an old town Chicago home she decorated was featured in House Beautiful, and it is worth touring.
Regardless of where each of us calls home, if you are drawn to touches of regal sophistication, you too can add them to your home:
- Mix warm and cool elements as seen in the kitchen above
- Inspired by a French brasserie, the custom made wood island partners and softens the white cabinetry
- Add a sofa, settee or bench uphostered with soft textures to the end of the master bed
- Tend to the ceiling light fixtures
- shop for vintage or retro-inspired lighting that finishes the room, much like a pair of quality shoes
- Consider wallpapering rooms (see the master bedroom, below)
- Add moulding to the ceiling and square paneling to plain, neutral walls (see the living room and master bath)
- adding texture without overwhelming the space
- Mix antique finds with custom upholstered finds that resemble retro furniture
- Complete with monochromatic, bouquets
- Hang large, but not overwhelming paintings and/or mirrors that make a statement to prevent a busy room, but speak to the signature style
Below discover the rooms that captured my attention and exemplify the takeaway points above. And be sure to tour the entire home here.