Become a subscriber and view posts without restrictions.
Parisian women and men treat the eyes to daily sartorial inspiration and remind the weary traveler that tending to what we wear is a gesture to act in a respectful manner while visiting a city so adored by the Francophile.
I didn’t take many pictures this trip of street style fashion, but I did capture this outfit as best as I could as I appreciated many ideas the woman demonstrated with complete nonchalant ease. Context is always interesting to me, so I will share this was a Wednesday morning at about eight in the 5th arrondissement on Rue Monge. I am assuming she may be on her way to work having just arrived in the neighborhood off of the Metro, but I cannot be sure. First let me explain the outfit as the picture doesn’t properly capture all of the colors and prints:
~A blue and white stripe oversized button-up shirt that is untucked completely (no French tuck in here!). A black over-the-shoulder hobo tote and black pointed toe kitten-heel pumps with white denim jeans. I believe she was wearing black sunglasses as well as she passed me on the street.
Okay, let’s break this effortlessly chic outfit down.
- Mixing black and blue – do it, don’t be afraid of doing it. Yves Saint Laurent will be proud when you do.
- Black heels in the summer – completely fine when mixed with spring and summer hued clothing items such as the white pants and blue and white stripe shirt
- Yes, heels, but low heels – choose a brand that is kind to your feet (this will be different for everyone).
- Choose inter-mixable separates – every piece of this item is timeless and can be worn with limitless other items for at least two seasons throughout the year if not more (the white pants are the only item that is relegated to spring and summer only, but everything else could pretty much be worn year round.
- The classic chignon – we cannot forget the hair, and her chignon was smashingly perfect while looking dated. I have included a tutorial video on how to create a modern French Chignon at the end of this post from Harper’s Bazaar.
Since I was not able to post an Outfit of the Week last week, I going to shop an outfit inspired by today’s above image. And if you’re shopping at ShopBop today and tomorrow (as I did for most of the outfit seen below), use the promo code EXTRA19 to save up to an additional 75% off Designer sale items.
~Cole Haan Vest black pump 45mm (other colors)~
~Shirtini Claridge and King Blue Stripe Boyfriend Shirt (I recently wrote about this shirt as it is now my favorite boyfriend button-up), more shirts here~
~Rag & Bone Classic black sunglasses (more colors)~
~Parisian Chic: A Style Guide by Ines de la Fressange (2011), read my review on this book when it was originally released.~
SHOP THE OUTFIT: